Monday, October 6, 2008

Life post-Ike

Well our sweet little island has been turned upside down thanks to a nasty Hurricane that stormed ashore over two months ago. So much has happened since then I feel sometimes like I don't recongize our life anymore.

First let me say that we were very fortunate, I'll even go as far to say blessed....even though there is very little that I would really consider a blessing about the storm as a whole. It truly is in times of hardship though that you can truly appreciate the good things. Sim and I evacuated on Thursday before the storm and went to stay at a friends' house in Dickinson, where we rode out the storm. Saturday morning when we woke up we faced the prospect of days without power and water and decided it was in our best interest to head out of town until things cleared up. We drove to San Antonio (our first time going!) and although the reasons for our trip were not good, we managed to fit in a little bit of sightseeing! Tuesday morning I was also fortunate enough to witness the birth of one of our good friends here's daughter at the Methodist Hosptital in San Antonio. Their family was evacuated from the area as well and thanks to Ike she had to give birth in a different hospital but everything worked out wonderfully and around noon on Tuesday Charlotte Ruth was born!


Us at the Alamo in San Antonio & Sim and Charlotte Ruth


Tuesday evening we then packed up and headed back to the area once we heard word that we could get onto the island and finally see the damage to our place. They had instituted a "Look & Leave" plan allowing residents to come onto the island for the day but they had to leave before nightfall. Unfortunately that plan was cancelled the day it started and we wondered if we had driven back for nothing. Luckily Sim and his Coast Guard connections came in handy and Wednesday we went onto the island for the first time. The devastation was heartbreaking. For those who have never been to Galveston before, it's just a teeny little city with a ton of history and even more pride. The buildings are old and weathered and actually so are most of the residents but it's a special place that we've grown to enjoy. It will be quite some time before Galveston is the same but I trust that it will happen because the residents would allow nothing less!

Boats all over the road & the Marina destroyed



In the hallway of our condo complex & debris along the Seawall

Over the past few weeks, so many changes have occurred it's overwhelming. First I have to say thanks to our wonderfuly generous friends, Sabrina & Brandon, for welcoming us into their home for the 2 weeks were were displaced. We appreciate their kindess so much. In the beginning of October, we were forunate enough to move into a beautiful new home on the mainland-far from threats of island living. We miss our little routine we had down in Galveston and I VERY MUCH miss my short commute but we are enjoying the heck out of our home.




Sim is being quite the trooper. In October he had double knee surgery to repair a previous baseball injury and further wear and tear from the Coast Guard. He has been going to rehab 3 times a week and is returning to work next Monday. We pray this surgeon was able to fix what other surgerys did not.

Sim's Bday at the Dallas vs. Redskin's game

I feel awful putting months worth of our life into just a few small paragraphs. It's been an overwhelming Fall of 2008 and we look forward to an enjoyable holiday season and a restful break from all of this change. As I type this my employer, The University of Texas Medical Branch, is in the midst of laying off 3800 employees. This is in part due to damage from Ike and the hospital's inability to reopen all of their floors and also a result of years of providing care to indigent and uninsured patients. It's a shame that something meant to do good is now going to harm so many innocent employees who already have enough to deal with. I can't wait for the next month or two to pass-to know that my job might be one of the lucky ones that is kept, and to be able to breath easy again. In the meantime we are doing our best to say our prayers and wait it out.

No comments: